Commercial Pilot and Wife Die From Drug Overdose
Authorities on Friday were investigating the deaths of a commercial pilot and his wife whose bodies were found by their children in their southwestern home in Ohio USA.
A coroner said the preliminary cause of death for both appears consistent with a drug overdose.
Spirit Airlines' Pilot, Brian Halye, 36, and his wife Courtney, 34, were found dead on Thursday in a bedroom of their home in Centerville, south of Dayton, police said.
The couple's children can be heard on a 911 call after their parents failed to wake them for school. "They were very cold," their son told a dispatcher while his three sisters can be heard crying in the background. The son added that they found their parents in bed not breathing and that his sisters described their father's face as "pale and there was black lines all over his face." Spirit Airlines confirmed Friday of Halye's appointment and said his final flight was March 10.
"Captain Halye served at the airline for just over nine years," Spirit Airlines said in a statement, noting that they run random drug and alcohol tests on all employees. The airlines said anyone who tests positive for drugs is immediately fired.
Pilot Brian Halye and wife Courtney
Although authorities are still investigating, they say the deaths appear to be drug-related and are consistent with a heroin or fentanyl overdose. A toxicology report will take four to six weeks. Centerville police added that the deaths appeared to be drug-related because narcotics paraphernalia was found at the scene.